Thursday, May 30, 2013

Steamed Scalllion Flower Buns ( Hua Juan)









Steamed Scallion Flower Buns aka Hua Juan


Adapted from The Cooking Of Joy

Ingredients :


For the bun dough :
½ packet yeast
3 cups flour
1 cup of warm milk
3/8 sugar
¼ cups vegetable oil ( I used sunflowers oil)

For the glaze:
3 tbsps chopped scallions ( only the green parts)
1 small carrot ( shredded)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp sugar
2 tbsp sesame oil

Directions:

1)      Turn on oven to ‘light’ or lowest setting . In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm milk  . Add in the rest of the dough ingredients & knead . Cover with moist cloth & place in the oven for 1 hour to proof till double in size .
2)      Mix all the ingredients for the glaze & set aside .
3)      Knead the again before dividing it into 12 egg sized pieces. With a rolling pin, roll each pieces of dough into a long oval & cut into long strips, leaving 1 cm section attached at one end as shown on the photo below . 


4) Brush with glaze. Twist the dough like rope & shape buns . Place on square parchment paper . Proof the buns again in the oven for 40 to 60 mins .  Steam the buns in steamer for 10 to 13 mins.




 Small Small Baker/Aspiring Bakers

Submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers # 31 – Bao Ho Chiak event hosted this month by  Miss B of Everybody Eats Well In Flanders .  

My pau making experience 

My very  1st pau , Siew Pau .



My 2nd pau , Chinese Custard Steamed Pau aka Lai Yau Pau another favorite of mine.



My 3rd pao experience  - Steamed Scalllion Flower Buns aka Hua Juan .






23 comments:

  1. Kit these look really beautiful, are perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kit, very pretty and delicious flower bun. I love your idea using carrot, the bun definitely look very lovely. Your 1st,2nd,3rd attempt pao all very nice and well done.

    So look like in future we get to see more pao recipe from you. Thanks for sharing, I'm also a dim sum lover. :)

    Have a nice weekend, regards. Lots of love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kit, all your paos are very well done especially the scallion flower buns. Look very pretty and of course healthy too!
    Happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is just gorgeous. The steamed scallion flower buns look and sound wonderful. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kit,
    I love all your paos.
    They are all so well done... 'hou tie you hou shek'
    Your Hua Juan were nice and fluffy. It is also a great way to make the kids have some scallion hor..:p
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  6. These steamed scallion buns look so good, if I could order these, I'd order one whole bucket for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kit ! Your baos are one of the prettiest I've seen so far ! They look drool-worthy as well :D I'm planning to make steamed baos later hopefully , it'll be edible lol I'm so gonna steal your flower design sometime ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kit, smart idea to add carrots to these buns. Well shaped and looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kit, I love you Hua Juan buns, beautiful!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kit,
    Thanks for your support! Your scallion flower buns were very nicely shaped and look very lovely!

    Regarding the difference between AP flour and pao flour, there is indeed a difference. AP flour has higher gluten level (10-12%) and they are mostly unbleached, whereas pao flour or HK flour has about the same gluten level as pastry flour (about 8-10%) and they are bleached. I have got a short write-up on this. http://everybodyeatswell.blogspot.be/2013/05/different-types-of-flours-for-chinese.html

    You can easily use AP flour with cornstarch to simulate cake flour, which you can then use for making steamed buns. Hopefully you can get bleached AP flour, then it would even be better as your buns will be whiter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss B, Thank you so much for the tips & for dropping by my blog. Truly appreciate it. Will hop over to your blog now! = )

      Delete
  11. Oh I am loving your steamed bun recipes - made my first pork buns the other week (see my blog for details) and was very happy with the results. Yours look wonderful and have always adored the custard ones. Getting out my steamer right now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kit,
    Your steamed buns looks delicious! I love scallions, I mean really enjoy eating scallions a lot! So does my family, and these buns would definitely be welcome anytime in my house! And you have done perfect pleats with the custard buns!
    Lovely dim sum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like you, I always wanted to try at doing really super easy recipe for dim sum or paos but never got to it. One is lazy and the other,.. lazy! lol. you paos look soft and delicious. Well done, Kit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kit,

    After our recent Singapore, I have promised my son to steam some paus for him but I have not do anything yet... Ops!

    You have made all your paus very well. I think you have been critical with yourself with your first two pau experience. All look beautiful!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  15. 3rd attempt? Your Paus look very professionally done, Kit!

    I have never made paus at home... looks like I know where to check out if I am ready for my pau experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the plain flower buns but never had with scallion. You have did it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i think it's my first time seeing you making something very chinese here..LOL! and it's beautiful! as far as i can remember, i'v nvr tried using ordinary flour to make paus but have tried mixing them with mashed sweet potato to make sweet potato buns and they were good too. I've seen bloggers using ordinary flour to make paus, and it turned out just as good. Really they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These steamed flower buns look gorgeous, Kit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Intersting dough twist, it has a very pleasant look!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved your flower buns. The way you twisted it made the buns more tempting.

    ReplyDelete