Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sweet Potato Mini Pie With Pecan Topping (Martha Stewart)









Jane Austen moment in Persuasion

Chapter 13
Lady Russell and Mrs Croft were very well pleased with each other: but the acquaintance which this visit began was fated not to proceed far at present; for when it was returned, the Crofts announced themselves to be going away for a few weeks, to visit their connexions in the north of the county, and probably might not be at home again before Lady Russell would be removing to Bath.
So ended all danger to Anne of meeting Captain Wentworth at Kellynch Hall, or of seeing him in company with her friend.  Everything was safe enough, and she smiled over the many anxious feelings she had wasted on the subject.




Sweet Potato Mini Pie With Pecan Topping 

Ingredients:

 2 to 3 sweet potatoes ( About 2 1/2 cups of puree)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup ( I only used 2 Tbsp)   +  ½ cup ( for topping) light brown sugar
3 tbsp pure maple syrup
¼  tsp salt
½ Tsp ground cinnamon
¼ Tsp nutmeg
¾ cup + 1 Tbsp(for topping)  heavy cream
1 prebaked pie crust or 1 frozen store bought crust ( I’ve made a pâte sablée)
3 Tbsp butter
1 cup pecans  ( in pieces if you wish)

Directions:

1)      For sweet potato puree :  Bring to a boil sweet potatoes in water till cook (tender) for about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain & mix it with food processor till smooth. Let to cool. 


2)      For the sweet potato filling: Preheat oven to 180°C.  Beat eggs, 1/3 cup of brown sugar & maple syrup till smooth. Add cold sweet potato puree, cinnamon , salt, nutmeg & ¾ cup cream, whisk till smooth texture.  

3)      Roll the pie crust up onto the rolling pin and gently unroll it over one of the prepared pie pans. Press the crust into the pan and roll the pin over the top of the pan to remove the excess dough. Pour  sweet potato mixture into crust. Bake pie about 50 mins ( I’ve baked my mini pies for only  25 mins ) on the lowest rack of the oven till sweet potato filling set. Cover pie with foil if the crust browns too quickly.  Let to cool on a rack. 

4)      For the Pecan Topping :  In a sauce pan melt butter on medium heat. Add ½ cup light brown sugar & pecans. Stir till smooth texture about 3 mins. Stir in 1 tbsp of cream & let to cool.  Spread pecan mixture over cool sweet potato pie & let to cool till topping has hardened for about 30 mins. ( Do not chill in refrigerator  again, keep pie in a cool place up to 6 hours)




Submitting this post to  AlphaBakes challenge hosted by  Ros @ Baking Addict of The More Than Occasional Baker & co - hosted with Caroline of Caroline Makes. And this month's random letter is 'S' as in SWEET  !





26 comments:

  1. What lovely and perfect look these Kit!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sweet potato pie, looks so good! I have never baked anything with sweet potato even though they are abundance over here! Have always wanted to, even have bookmarked many recipes, but until now, still sleeping on it! Your pie looks wonderful, Kit, and each slice with a pecan on top, how delicious! I wish that I could have some right now, have not had my breakfast yet! Now my tummy is playing "orchestra"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kit,

    I like the fact that the sweetness of these pies come is mainly from the sweet potatoes. Although these pies are slightly richer than your friend's version and the filling looks very smooth and not soggy at all.

    Like them in these little square shapes. Very nice!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kit , your tartlets look delicious ! The sweet potato filling sounds great . I haven't tried using sweet potatoes in baking yet :P Love the square shape of your tarts :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these look and sound delicious, really nice presentation! I will definitely need to try this recipe, very festive pastry! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really a beautiful dessert. I love sweet potatoes, but have not tried them in a pie. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So dainty and delish! Another awesome bake by you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kit, again another beautiful creation from you. I find that a lot of Martha Stewart's recipes uses a lot of sugar, I tend to cut it down too when I make any of her bakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really delicious, I love the idea of a sweet potato pie with pecan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kit, these are such beautiful pies! And I bet they are really delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh these look very rich. A nice dollop of cream and I would be in heaven. Like the new look of your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks good, adding this in the list of food I want to eat when I go over to visit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tarts are so pretty. You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These square pies are so adorable! I love that you used maple syrup and just very little sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are picture perfect! I love your square pies...beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such pretty pies, I like their square look, too, would love to try but I am afraid I'll ended up having to eat all of them as my sons are not so into sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are so sweet. They look wonderful. I like that you've used sweet potato too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kit,
    These pies are so nicely made.
    Every piece is a master piece made by Kit:)
    Oh! Can pass a piece to me? :p
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kit, the tart mould look so cute. Look so yummylicious, love the sweet potato. Wish I can have 1 piece now. :)

    You're an excellent baker. With hugs and lots of love to you. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kit..you've done it again. I'm like 'Whoa! Now that's a pie!' So temptingly yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi kit, you shld call this sweet potato butterfly mini pie cos i think they look like butterflies in the pie! very beautiful creation!Martha Stewart would be wld very pleased that you made it so beautifully!..can imagine the sweetness from the potatoes..and that creaminess..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - I've never tried anything like this before. I love the flavour combination and the mini pies look really cute! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes!

    ReplyDelete