Jane Austen’s moment in Persuasion (1818)
They knew not each other's opinion, either its constancy or its change, on the one leading point of Anne's conduct, for the subject was never alluded to; but Anne, at seven-and-twenty, thought very differently from what she had been made to think at nineteen. She did not blame Lady Russell, she did not blame herself for having been guided by her; but she felt that were any young person, in similar circumstances, to apply to her for counsel, they would never receive any of such certain immediate wretchedness, such uncertain future good. She was persuaded that under every disadvantage of disapprobation at home, and every anxiety attending his profession, all their probable fears, delays, and disappointments, she should yet have been a happier woman in maintaining the engagement, than she had been in the sacrifice of it; and this, she fully believed, had the usual share, had even more than the usual share of all such solicitudes and suspense been theirs, without reference to the actual results of their case, which, as it happened, would have bestowed earlier prosperity than could be reasonably calculated on.
I'm liking this recipe to We Should Cocoa Challenge hosted by Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog. And for this month's theme is chocolate & cheese.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Adapted from Paula Deen
225g softened butter
225g cream cheese
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
For white chocolate frosting:
100g white chocolate
5 tbsp milk
1) Preheat oven to 180°C & grease a 10 inches cake pan
2) In a large bowl beat butter, cream cheese & sugar till creamy. Gradually add in eggs on at a time. Beat well & add in vanilla.
3) In another large bowl combine flour, baking powder & cocoa. Fold in half of the flour mixture into the cream mixture & beat well for a couple of minutes.
4) Pour batter in ready greased cake pan & bake for 1 hour till done. Let to cool, remove from cake pan.
5) To make white chocolate frosting: Melt white chocolate pieces with milk on double boiler/ bain-marie (medium heat) till smooth. Pour immediately on the cake if not the white chocolate will harden again.